A man has suffered serious burns after he bravely rescued three of his children when his house caught fire.

Ray Lucas and his girlfriend, Shi’Ann Brown had made a quick stop at a gas station in Michigan but returned to their home to see it ablaze. Ray moved quickly entering the house and rescued the three youngsters, however, he suffered serious burns in the process and is now homeless.

He told reporters how he ran into the house and made his way to the basement where the children were sleeping. He fought back smoke and flames to make sure all three were taken to safety. He told reporters:

“I just knew I had to get my babies out. That’s what went through my mind.”

Adding:

“You really couldn’t see your hand in front of your face – I really only found my babies due to my memory, just knowing where they were and knowing how to get to them – just from having that same route.”

Recounting his injuries, he said:

“I was temporarily blind for three days and they said it was a miracle I could see. I’ve got burns on my arms, but for the most part, everyone is still here.”

While all children were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation they have now been discharged and are expected to make a full recovery. Meanwhile the family has been left homeless.

Appealing for support, and to thanks those who have already helped the family, Shi’Ann posted on Facebook:

“These last couple days have been crazy but I just wanted to thank everybody for their support, whether it was prayers, money, clothes, anything, I’m truly grateful. My babies were discharged from the hospital yesterday & their Dad was also discharged. We are now at a hotel & we’re all just working on recovering.”

So far well-wishers have raised a phenomenal $275,803 for the family.

[Based on reporting by: Positive Outlooks]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.